Friday, May 13, 2016

Roadblocks

                During the book "Leo and the Lesser Lion" Bayliss (main character) has to deal with some very challenging roadblocks. One example of a roadblock she had to deal with is the death of her brother (Leo). Chapter 9 states, "Because I knew just saying his name would upset Daddy and bring back that look to my mother's eyes. I tried to find a word to describe the look-If Leo were here, I thought, he'd be able to tell me-but I couldn't come up with one on my own that came close." In addition the book also states, "This is the second thing I remember: feeling really scared. Really scared. And looking up at my mother and saying, "Leo." She was holding my hand, and I felt her jerk when she heard his name. That's when somebody started screaming. It was a raw, heartbreaking sound like nothing I'd ever heard before. Then Mother was bending over me, whispering, "Hush, now, hush, sugar," and I realized the screams were coming from me." In the chapters before this on Leo goes out for a swim and drowns. Bayliss tries to save him but falls short of her goal and fractures a bone in her spine. This is a huge roadblock because she could possibly end up paralyzed and then she lost her brother on top of that. This stops her normal station in life and now she has to find a way to put her life back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment